Abdominal Pain Treatment
or stomach pain is a major symptom that is associated with both temporary, non-serious disorders and more severe conditions. The abdomen is an anatomical area bound by the lower margin of the ribs and the pelvic bone.
Most of the causes of abdominal pain are not serious and can be diagnosed and treated. Therefore, it is important to be able to recognize severe symptoms and know when to call a Los Angeles pain clinic doctor.
Request Appointment Today with the Top Beverly Hills & Los Angeles Pain Management Center! Call to Schedule: (310) 854-0283
Intelligent Pain Solutions treats all types of simple and complicated pain conditions. like back and neck pain.
Causes of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal can occur in form of a mild stomach ache, sharp pain, or stomach cramps. Some of the more common causes include:
- Stomach virus
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Food allergies
- Food poisoning
- Menstrual cramps
- Lactose intolerance
- Kidney stones
- Crohn’s disease
What are the Symptoms of Abdominal Pain?
- Abdominal pain may become severe but if you notice the following symptoms, contact pain management doctors in Los Angeles right away.
- Nausea, or fever
- Difficulty breathing
- Pain during pregnancy
- Vomiting blood
- Tender abdomen
The pain may result from an injury to the abdomen
The symptoms above can be an indication of internal inflammation, infection or bleeding that needs treatment as soon as possible.
Diagnosis of Abdominal Pain
- There are many several causes of abdominal pain, therefore, your health provider will need to perform a physical examination and ask several questions about the pain you are feeling. A physical examination will provide the doctor with some additional clues to the main cause of abdominal pain. The pain management doctors in Los Angeles will identify:
- The presence of sounds originating from the intestines that occur when intestines are obstructed.
- Presence of any inflammation during the examination
- Location of the tenderness
- The presence of blood in the stool that signifies intestinal problem such as colon cancer, ulcer, or ischemia.
- The presence of mass around the abdomen that suggests a tumor, abscess (a collection of infected pus) or enlarged organ.
Laboratory tests such as complete blood count (CBC), pancreatic enzymes, liver enzymes, urinalysis and pregnancy test are frequently performed in the evaluation of abdominal pain. From the tests:
- A low red blood cell count indicates a bleeding in the intestines
- Elevated white count indicates chances of inflammation or infection.
- Blood in the urine suggests kidney stones
- In incidences of diarrhea, white blood cells in the stool show inflammation or infection.
What are the Treatment Options for Abdominal Pain?
Treatment of abdominal pain depends on the main cause. Treatment can range from medication meant for inflammation, GERD, Ulcers, or antibiotics for infections. The medication used to treat the cause of abdominal pain are medications of choice. The example in medication may not be necessary to treat simple viral gastroenteritis while surgery or chemotherapy may be the best option to address certain cancers in the abdomen. In other conditions, the major treatment option may be antimicrobials, antispasmodics, H2 blockers, nitrates or morphine.
Abdominal pain can also be treated by avoiding various lifestyle choices. Such include: Eating a good diet, exercises, avoid smoking and consumption of excess alcohol to reduce the chances of experiencing abdominal pains.
Good hygiene such as hand washing and also avoid contaminated foods. This will help reduce the chances of developing illness pain from many infectious causes.
Well, after visiting the pain doctor Los Angeles, do not expect an instant cure or immediate diagnosis but schedule regular visits and take the tests quite often to establish the cause of abdominal pain and avoid serious illnesses.